Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Homemade Coconut Lime Lip Balm


I've been struggling with dry, chapped lips more than normal lately.  Hypothyroidism causes dry everything...skin, hair, lips, eyes.  You name it, it will be affected by thyroid problems  *Sigh* 

I have been using Aveda Lip Saver for many, many years, but it's gone up to $8.50 a tube, which is just about too rich for my pocketbook, so I started cruising the internet for a homemade lip balm that uses few ingredients, doesn't make a bizzillion tubes all at once, and is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.  Believe you me, I found TONS and many are pinned to my Pinterest page.  However, I found this recipe by Fresh Picked Beauty that made one single tube and was easy to make!  I had all the ingredients on hand, so I gave it a go. 

I loved it!! 

I loved it so much that I put it in my pocket and took it to work to make sure that it stood up to 10+ hours in my pocket without melting or becoming too soft.  It did great! 

Since I normally keep one tube of lip balm at work, one tube in my purse, and one tube at home, I decided to up the single tube recipe to make enough to cover those 3 bases plus extras to have on hand or to share with friends.  I decided to shoot for 10 tubes, so I simply multiplied the base recipe by 10.  This recipe makes about a dozen 0.15 oz. tubes.

Coconut Lime Lip Balm (Makes approximately 12 tubes)
2 T + 1.5 t coconut oil (2.5T coconut oil)
2.5 t grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil (Original recipe called for calendula infused grapeseed oil)
5 t beeswax pastilles (or shredded beeswax)
40 drops Lime essential oil
30 drops Lemon essential oil

Place coconut oil, grapeseed oil, and beeswax pastilles in a glass measuring cup.  Place measuring cup in 1" - 2" of water.  Bring water to a slow boil.  Stir to mix and stir occasionally until beeswax is melted.  Once oils and wax have melted, remove glass measuring cup from water bath.  Add essential oils and stir.  Pour into tubes and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.  Place caps on top of tubes and then allow to cool completely. 

**You can use a small funnel or pipette to fill tubes.  I used these containers and they worked okay.  If I could find some smaller ones, I think they would work even better. 

You can use an egg carton to hold your tubes for filling.  Just turn the egg carton upside down and cut slits in the bottom and insert tubes.  It's not perfect, but it's cheaper than buying a tube holder and it works well.


If you don't have access to essential oils, I use oils from Spark Naturals and Mountain Rose Herbs, but you can easily find essential oils at most health food stores or on Amazon.  I also purchased my lip balm tubes from Mountain Rose Herbs.  Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with either business, just a satisfied customer.

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Very cool, Stef! Glad you found something suitable (recipe wise), that works and holds up to be in your pocket while you work. Thanks for the links as well!

Robin