Saturday, October 18, 2008

Plant Swap!

This afternoon, my husband and I drove over to Arlington to participate in the North Central Texas Plant Swap hosted by the Texas Gardeners group on the Dave's Garden website. What an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon! The weather was absolutely perfect, not too hot and not too cool, a light breeze, and lots of sunshine. There were about 50 of us, give or take a few, and TONS of plants to be traded and given away. Almost all of the plants were from individual's gardens, either from volunteers, dividing clumps, rooting cuttings, or plants people didn't want any longer.

Here's what I took:





I had some Rock Rose (pavonia), Ruellia "Katie's Pink", a couple of Shasta Daisy "Becky", and May Night Salvia. Yesterday, I dug up several starts of Pigeonberry that I discovered out by the compost pile and took those along as well.

This is what I came home with:

I don't know what half of these things are, but thankfully they're all labeled!



More plants.



My husband scored a tomato plant with little flowers on it as well as some seed starting trays.



Here's a picture of the trade tables. Every member was assigned a spot at the tables and it was marked with each person's board name. Plants brought for pre-arranged trades were put under the table at each person's place. Extras were put on top of the tables.





I am already making plans for the spring swap!! Now all I have to do is get all this stuff planted before the first freeze!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I wish I knew more about stuff like that! With 4 dogs, I am learning the truth of what my mom always said "you cannot have dogs and flowers both, so pick which one you want" I went to look at the tiny little button of yellow that is barely showing on my mums today b/c it might be the last time I see it. They unfortunately are in a bed where one dog likes to flop down, and one likes to jump up on the tree to chase squirrels. Sigh. I did like reading about your day though! LOL

Suzanne